Stuffed Beef Heart
- 1 large beef heart (about 3 pounds, split lengthwise)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups bread or cracker crumbs (seasoned, optional)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef base
- Wash heart. Trim fat and remove arteries and soak in cold salted water for half hour. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Brush outside with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle inside cavity and outside with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, sage and parsley together. Fill inside cavity with dressing. Skewer or tie together. Dredge with flour and brown in remaining oil, turning to brown well. Remove from pan and place in a roasting pan or crock-pot.
- Make a thin gravy by adding the remaining flour (from dredging) to drippings in pan. Add the water and beef base. Pour gravy over the beef heart.
- Bake in slow oven at 250*F (120*C) for eight hours or in crock-pot cook on HIGH for 1 hour and then on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.Makes 4 servings.